This week I watched the the 2nd (and final?) season of The End of the F***ing World on Netflix! It’s been over 2 years since the first season premiered and we’ve literally waited this long just to find out what happened to James and Alyssa! We’re really lucky we even got a 2nd season, since I don’t think a show like this on cable would make it (at least, not in the U.S.).
This is a pretty dark and quirky little show. It’s a teen drama but the writing is so much better than most others. I feel like this show just allows its story and characters to naturally evolve, rather than dragging out a plot over way too many episodes, trying way too hard to one-up itself with each season (*cough*, Riverdale). It makes the characters feel so much more real and relatable, even with all of the crazy things that happened. And this season only has 8 episodes that are less than 30 minutes each, so it’s really easy to binge-watch. I love that.
I’m sharing some of my favorite quotes from season 2 in this post. There will be spoilers, of course. So if you haven’t seen season 2 yet, go watch it! I did my best to gather these quotes correctly, but please let me know if I messed one up and I’ll fix it.
1. “No matter how bad life got, there was always something good. You had to focus on the good.”
I think this is my favorite line from the entire season. It’s so simple but it represents so much growth for James. Even after feeling like he’s lost everything and that he could lose Alyssa too, he’s surprisingly optimistic.
2. “Why is it the more you have to say, the harder it is to speak?”
I can relate personally to this because when I do have a lot to say, I sometimes find it hard to express myself, especially when it’s something important. I was so proud of Alyssa for learning to express her feelings to James – in her own way, of course.
3. “It’s strange, when someone’s very important and you haven’t seen them for a long time. As soon as you do, it’s easier to breathe.”
I think we can all relate to having someone we care about that we don’t see very often, but as soon as we see them we just feel better.
4. “The problem with a person having a lack of love is that they don’t know what it looks like. So it’s easy for them to get tricked, to see things that aren’t there. But I guess we all lie to ourselves all the time.”
This is such a brilliant quote and I love how the show showed mercy to Bonnie without making what she did okay. I never once hated her or thought of her as some kind of villain, and I was always hoping that she’d choose not to try to kill Alyssa and James. It just goes to show that there are so many people out there who just need help.
5. “It’s funny, the way people lie to be kind.”
There’s not really a big revelation to this quote. I just like how it points out that a lie can be kind, even when you both know it. James’ dad was a good guy and just wanted to have a good relationship with his son, no matter what.
6. “I used to feel like I knew myself. But for a while now, I don’t think I’ve been properly in my body.”
I still have days where I don’t feel like myself, and this quote describes it perfectly – watching yourself do and say things that aren’t you.
7. “I’m sorry. […] For trying to make you the answer. It’s not fair.”
After all this time, James finally learned to stop putting Alyssa on a pedestal and making her the answer to all of his problems. It’s not how a relationship is supposed to work and I’m glad he realized that.
8. “You can’t kiss someone and then be mean. It’s confusing.”
Just the way James learned to stop making Alyssa the answer to his problems, I think Alyssa realized how mean she can be to James (and everyone else), putting her pain and resentment on him for no reason, and it hurts his feelings. This is one of a few times where James expressed this to her, and it made me so proud of both of them.
9. “I don’t really feel anything any more. It’s good, not feeling. It’s like a superpower.”
This quote is obviously not good or true, but I like how honest it is. It’s easy to lie to yourself and say you don’t care and it makes you feel like you’ve conquered what’s bothering you. But you really haven’t.
10. “Just stop bothering her. She’s not desperate.”
With all of the awful things Alyssa says and does on this show, she is always quick to speak her mind and stick up for people (and herself) when she feels like it. She’s had some pretty classic lines particularly to men in this show, and this one was no different.